The nature of "Deja Vu"
You know, I sometimes think of myself as a thinker and a philosopher - do I really deserve to do that is a question for another day. I wanted to talk about the feeling of "deja vu" - I think that some people interpret different feelings to be it, but there's a certain distinct feeling that I've been having ever since I was a child - a feeling of different correlations, slowly unveiling one after another, connected to each other. Basically, I feel - see, hear, smell, think, etc. - something - and then I suddenly start remembering that "this was all happening before" - and guess what, I never interpreted it to be anything supernatural, I always sort of remembered exactly what I was remembering. Someone at some point in my life suggested to me that it's evidence of reincarnation, but I rebuked then with a christian dogmat - the resurrection - because I was a neofit back in that day, I only really thought in the christian dimension. And it was pretty great, it was a time of spiritual growing for me. I was feeling like Superman discovering his powers for the first time. But this micro article, or, rather, somply a thought, is about deja vu. So, recently I thought to myself - what if deja vu is caused by some sort of chemical (hormone) that just forces us to build connections between memories in our brains? What if there isn't really uncanny similarities between situations?
As you can see, I sort of became kind of like a materialist, I guess. You can clearly see by my phrasing that I'm ashamed of it, I guess. Well, everybody is a materialist, to a degree.
At this point I realised that I'm just going through another stream of consciousness and I had to conclude what I was going to say.
The feeling of "deja vu" can't really be defined easily - but if it is what I call it, then it must be something we obtained during our evolution. This feeling is a byproduct of our ability to remember - extract deeply compressed archives of our memory. Would it be possible to figure out exactly what chemical creates this feeling? Would it be possible to use this chemical to induce better remembering?
Those are my conclusions.
Comments
Post a Comment